The itinerary follows the course of the River Sarca. Starting in Arco, you cycle up the river valley as far as Sarche. On the way back, you pass by Lake Cavedine, a small body of water near the Marocche.
The route generally follows the cycle path running along the river bank through farmland and orchards, mostly apples but also plums, and vineyards. You are in the heart of the Sarca Valley, an area with a long tradition of farming. On the way back however, at the northern end, you head towards Lake Cavedine. The lake was formed by the damming of the river by the Marocche landslide and today it is a natural oasis much loved by fishermen and sports lovers.
The itinerary presents no particular difficulties, apart from a short uphill stretch on a cement road where you can always simply get off and push your bike.
Rest StopHosteria Toblino
Ristorante Alfio Bar Pizzeria
Winery Fratelli Pisoni
- Give your bike a regular checkup, especially if you've had it for years.
- Be seen: you must wear a high vis jacket (or sash) in tunnels and on country roads after sunset.
- Always wear your helmet.
- Make sure your front and rear lights are working.
- Put out your arm to give advance warning of your intention to change position and before you do anything, check there are no vehicles coming up behind you.
- Don't use headphones or your mobile phone handsfree kit: you need all your concentration on the road!
- Obey the road signs: stop at traffic lights and don't ride on the wrong side of the road.
- If you are cycling in a group, always go in single file.
- You've got a bell: use it to let pedestrians know you're there. Don't ride on footpaths. If you have to then get off and push your bike.
- If there are cycle paths use them. It's your safety that's at stake and the rules of the road say you must.
The cycle pathe in Trentino are usually closed by the local authorities from November, 15th to April, 15th. Exceptions are the cycle paths along the River Adige and in the Basso Sarca/Garda Trentino, where cycling is prohibited only in case of ice or during a snowfall.
Tips and hints
- This is another tour which is ideal for exploring the northern part of Garda Trentino, combining different points of interest for a very enjoyable trip. For example, in the area around Lake Cavedine, you pass a little beach with a bar and a water fountain, the perfect place to cool down after the ride. Continue onwards towards the Marocche, and about halfway up the hill that takes you to the protected area you will come across a signpost which leads you to a great boulder which bears the footprint of a dinosaur.
For more information on routes and bike services: rentals, workshops, shops and cycling friendly accommodation - APT Garda Trentino Tel. +39 0464 554444
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino
Free parking in Riva del Garda at the old hospital (via Rosmini) and the old cemetery (Viale D. Chiesa).
Pay parking at the Public Gardens Porta Orientale, Roman Baths, Viale Lutti (Ex Agraria), Monte Oro, shopping center Blue Garden.
Author’s map recommendations
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.