The Torbole sul Garda – Sarche cycle path
Garda Trentino Verified partner Explorers Choice
Fun for families on the cycle wayPhoto: Archivio APT Garda Trentino, Garda Trentino
The Torbole - Sarche cycle path follows the River Sarca upstream, linking the lake shore with the Sarca Valley. For mountain bike lovers, it is the best way to get to the start of the many mtb tours and for all the others it is a lovely itinerary without any hazards.
But watch out, this trail is also very popular with walkers and runners, making it the busiest cycle path in Trentino.
The beauty of the landscape, the mild climate which means the cycle path is open all year round, and the fact that it allows you to get from one town in Garda Trentino to another in total safety are just some of the reasons why you can't afford to miss this trail.
Along the way you can take short detours to visit a number of different attractions, points of interest, producers and restaurants who will win you over with the flavours of the upper lake. It's an excellent way to discover the history and traditions of Garda Trentino!
- Give your bike a regular checkup, especially if you've had it for years.
- Be seen: you must wear a high vis jacket (or sash) in tunnels and on country roads after sunset.
- Always wear your helmet.
- Make sure your front and rear lights are working.
- Put out your arm to give advance warning of your intention to change position and before you do anything, check there are no vehicles coming up behind you.
- Don't use headphones or your mobile phone handsfree kit: you need all your concentration on the road!
- Obey the road signs: stop at traffic lights and don't ride on the wrong side of the road.
- If you are cycling in a group, always go in single file.
- You've got a bell: use it to let pedestrians know you're there. Don't ride on footpaths. If you have to then get off and push your bike.
- If there are cycle paths use them. It's your safety that's at stake and the rules of the road say you must.
The cycle pathe in Trentino are usually closed by the local authorities from November, 15th to April, 15th. Exceptions are the cycle paths along the River Adige and in the Basso Sarca/Garda Trentino, where cycling is prohibited only in case of ice or during a snowfall.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
- To the north of Dro, the cycle path cross the Marocche. Partly a protected area, the Marocche is the largest post-glacial landslide in the entire Alps: an impressive mass of rocky material which makes the area look like a moonscape and where you will find plants and animals which have adapted to the arid environment.
- The entire course of the River Sarca constitutes the Sarca River Park, a long waterway which runs down from the Adamello glaciers to Lake Garda. An alternative park which can be explored almost entirely on foot or by bike, there are signposted trails with information panels about the natural surroundings, history and culture of the area. In summer, don't forget your swimsuit. There are two little beaches on the river banks where you can stop off and cool down along the way.
For more information on routes and bike services: rentals, workshops, shops and cycling friendly accommodation - APT Garda Trentino Tel. +39 0464 554444
The Torbole-Sarche cycle path starts on the shores of Lake Garda near the mouth of the River Sarca where the trails from Riva del Garda and Mori meet: the route is well signposted on the right hand side of the river. You head north in the direction of Arco along the River Sarca which takes you safely under the road bridge without having to leave the cycle path. For over 5 km you cycle through pleasant countryside until you come to Arco.
Cycle through Arco and then go back onto the cycle path at the road bridge over the Sarca. From this point, the track heads upstream again on the right hand side of the River Sarca for about 500 metres, then turns right onto the pedestrian and cycle path at the camp site which takes you to the other side of the river near the town park; continue along the river bank and you will come across some picnic areas where you can always stop off for a rest. After about 4 km you come to the town of Ceniga. The trail now runs along the mixed traffic main road which takes you from Ceniga to the small town of Dro. Follow directions to the residential area on the northern side of Dro where you take up the cycle path for about 850 m which passes under the main road and takes you to the crossroads with the minor road which leads to what was once the Fies hydroelectric power plant. Now continue along quiet country lanes to the little hamlet of Pietramurata, where you join the cycle path again which takes you to the town of Sarche where the cycle path ends.
The towns in Garda Trentino - Riva del Garda, Torbole sul Garda and Arco – are connected by several urban and intercity bus lines which will take you to the starting point or in the immediate surroundings.
For up-to-the-minute information on timetables and routes
You can also get to Riva del Garda and Torbole sul Garda by the public ferry service.
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino
Free parking in Torbole in the Busatte Park.
More Pay parking at the Panorama parking area, in Via Strada Granda or and along the lakefront Lungolago Conca d'Oro
Author’s map recommendations
- Garda Trentino BIKE Map - On sale in informatin offices in Riva del Garda, Arco and Torbole
- 12 Waypoints
- 12 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Photos from others