A literary stroll which follows in the footsteps of the great German poet Goethe from Nago to Torbole, during his celebrated Italian tour (1786 - 1788).
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, already famous as the author of “The Sorrows of Young Werther” and a minister of Weimar, visited Italy between 1786 and 1787, in search of inspiration in the home of classical writers, art and culture. And he could hardly resist a visit to Lake Garda, praised as “a magnificent product of nature” after the visits of other important figures of European culture such as the French philosopher Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1780) or the earlier visit of Albrecht Dürer (1495).
This literary stroll follows in the footsteps of Goethe who arrived in Torbole on the evening of 12th September 1786, going down to Nago on foot along the historic Santa Lucia road, at the time the only way of getting to Lake Garda from the Adige Valley.
Each stage is accompanied by quotations with notes on the original text of Goethe's “Italian Journey” (see gallery).
The Hidden Treasures itineraries were designed in order to give visitors a chance to get to know places in Garda Trentino that are off the beaten track. For this reason, the signposting is not always in the same style and sometimes missing altogether. We therefore recommend you to take a good map with you on these excursions. And then bear in mind your general reference points: Lake Garda = South, Monte Stivo = East, Rocchetta = West, Arco Castle = North.
The telephone number for the emergency services is 112.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
- For further information on routes, activities, events and accommodation at lake Garda: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 - www.gardatrentino.it
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
ParkingThe car park “al Coel” in Nago, which is accessed from the roundabout, is free of charge all year round.
EquipmentThis excursion is quite simple and presents no particular difficulty. However, we still recommend you to wear suitable footwear, a hat, sun screen and sunglasses. And be sure to bring water!
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.