This itinerary focuses on the historic frescoed churches around Arco which bear witness to the deep roots of the local faith. What we are dealing with here are chapels, little churches of outlying hamlets, and shrines which tell of a simple yet widespread faith, with close links to local rural tradition (to find out more about this theme we suggest the trail about Nago and the religious faith of the country people).
This is a loop along the banks of the River Sarca, on both sides of the river, and touching on Ceniga (municipality of Dro), San Martino and Bolognano. This area is part of the Sarca River Reserve, a nature reserve designed to protect the particular environments around the river.
So this itinerary invites you not only to discover the artistic treasures of the area but also to enjoy the particular landscape which is dominated by the river.
The Hidden Treasures itineraries were designed in order to give visitors a chance to get to know places in Garda Trentino that are off the beaten track. For this reason, the signposting is not always in the same style and sometimes missing altogether. We therefore recommend you to take a good map with you on these excursions. And then bear in mind your general reference points: Lake Garda = South, Monte Stivo = East, Rocchetta = West, Arco Castle = North.
The telephone number for the emergency services is 112.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
- Some of the churches are not open to the public all year round but only during the summer months or on request, asking the caretaker for the keys. You should therefore check first whether the churches are open. For opening times and information: www.gardatrentino.it
- For further information on routes, activities, events and accommodation at lake Garda: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 - www.gardatrentino.it
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
Free parking in Caneve (5 minutes on foot from the centre of Arco).
Pay parkng Foro Boario, Via Caproni Maini (Parcheggio al Ponte), Posta (Via Monache).
EquipmentThis excursion is quite simple and presents no particular difficulty. However, we still recommend you to wear suitable footwear, a hat, sun screen and sunglasses. And be sure to bring water!
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.