Dürer visited this town on Lake Garda on the way back from his first Italian journey (1494), which he embarked on in order to get to see the artistic innovations introduced during the Renaissance. His destination was Venice and he probably moved around from there to other towns in northern Italy where he could examine the works of masters of the period such as Mantegna, Carpaccio and the brothers Giovanni and Gentile Bellini.
The path is accompanied by some of the writings of Italian authors of the period (Nicolò d’Arco, Jacopo Vargnano), which give us an idea of the amazement felt by a traveller from the North looking for the first time on a country with a Mediterranean atmosphere and landscape.
Safety informationThe Hidden Treasures itineraries were designed in order to give visitors a chance to get to know places in Garda Trentino that are off the beaten track. For this reason, the signposting is not always in the same style and sometimes missing altogether. We therefore recommend you to take a good map with you on these excursions. And then bear in mind your general reference points: Lake Garda = South, Monte Stivo = East, Rocchetta = West, Arco Castle = North.
The telephone number for the emergency services is 112.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
- The view of the castle of Arco appears in Dürer's watercolour “Venediger Klausen”, today housed in the Louvre. This “portrait” captures the rock of the cliff, the fortified town and the silvery hue of the foliage of the olive trees in quasi-photographic detail. The composition is an ideal one however, bringing together on a single canvas elements of the landscape and views which are actually quite far apart from one another.
- For further information on routes, activities, events and accommodation at lake Garda: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 - www.gardatrentino.it
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
Free parking in Caneve (5 minutes on foot from the centre of Arco).
Pay parkng Foro Boario, Via Caproni Maini (Parcheggio al Ponte), Posta (Via Monache).
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentThis excursion is quite simple and presents no particular difficulty. However, we still recommend you to wear suitable footwear, a hat, sun screen and sunglasses. And be sure to bring water!
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.