From Rifugio Pernici reach Bocca di Trat and and then take the SAT 402 path that leads to Malga Grassi and Campi, and then rejoin the Garda Trek Medium Loop path, going to Pranzo and then to Tenno.
In Canale, recognized as one of the most beautiful villages in Italy, you continue along the official path of Garda Trek Top Loop to Rifugio San Pietro.
Warning! Since this is an extraordinary situation, the signposting has not been changed. Then keep the instructions published on this page at hand.
In summer you should stop off at Lake Tenno. Take time out for a refreshing swim in the famous turquoise waters of the lake!
Rest stopsBOCCA DI TRAT "NINO PERNICI"
MONTE CALINO "SAN PIETRO"
Canale di Tenno medieval village
Rifugio Capanna Grassi
Rifugio San Pietro
Safety informationThe information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
- San Pietro hut is easily accessible and one of the most popular destinations with visitors and locals alike. The hut was built on the foundations of the ancient hermitage which stood beside the little medieval chapel which is still standing today. There is a spectacular view from the terrace over Northern Garda.
- For those who would rather head back before the San Pietro hut: At the car park at lake Tenno, just opposite to the end of trail SAT 445 coming down from Monte Vender, there's a bus stop. N.B.: buses to Riva del Garda do not pass very often. Get info about bus times on: www.gardatrentino.it
- You can also walk down to Riva del Garda. At the parking place take the small road behind the info point (open during the summer) and follow it till a big wooden cross. Leave the cross on your left and walk down to Ville del Monte. Cross the main road and at the church take the old dirt track as far as Tenno. At the end of the track, cross the main road and go through the town. SAT 401 comes out right opposite the hotel Albergo Ristorante Antica Croce and a few steps lead down to the main road in the Gavazzo district. Watch out for traffic and follow the main road until you come to the restaurant Ristorante Foci "Da Rita", where you can catch a bus for Riva del Garda. Otherwise, you can keep going on foot towards Varone and follow the cycle path to Riva del Garda.
- For those who would like to stay overnight in the San Pietro hut and then head back: follow signposts from the hut for the trail SAT 401. Once you get to Gavazzo you can take the bus to Riva del Garda or keep going on foot (see above).
- For further information on routes and hike services: guides, shops and hiking friendly accommodation: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 www.gardatrentino.it
How to get to Rifugio Nino Pernici:
from Lenzumo at 796 m a.s.l. in Val Concei, by road for 7 km as far as the Trat pasture 1556 m, trail number 403, then along the trail for 20 minutes; on foot 2 h 15;
from Riva del Garda 73 m, trail number 402, passing through Santa Maria Maddalena 252 m, San Giovanni 440 m, Pinza, Campi 672 m, Rifugio Grass hut 1055 m, Dosso dei Fiori pasture 1355 m, Bocca di Trat 1581 m - 4h 15min (1h 30min from Grassi hut, which you can reach by 14 km of road)
Getting to noerthern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
See note to stage 1
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentThe trek proposed here does not have bolted routes or via ferratas, and so there is no need for helmets, harness or rope. However, considering how physically demanding the route is, the length of the stages and the presence of some exposed stretches, this type of trek is only recommended for people who are very fit, who have a good sense of direction and who are used to hiking in a mountain environment. GardaTrek requires you to have standard hiking equipment for alpine terrain and we suggest you also bring a wind and waterproof jacket and fleece in case of bad weather, a torch, a change of underwear, sunglasses and sunscreen, a water canteen and snacks.
- 6 Waypoints
- 6 Waypoints