20. Busatte – Tempesta Trail, a classic of Garda Trentino
Garda Trentino Verified partner Explorers Choice
Sentiero Busatte - TempestaPhoto: Archivio APT Garda Dolomiti - A. Galvagni, Garda Trentino
The Busatte - Tempesta Trail is one of the most well-known and popular hikes in the area.
This route passes through an inaccessible area and is therefore closed. Current information
The trek leads up a steep mountainside sheer above the lake through dense Mediterranean vegetation. The main feature of this hiking trail are the marvellous views and the iron ladders on the steep walls of rock overlooking lake Garda: they counts more than 400 steps, so be ready to climb!
At the end of the path you can walk back taking the forest road or continue on the road to the bus stop on the main road to go back by bus.
Curious fact: during the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Tempesta actually marked the Italian border.
- Choose itineraries that suit your physical and technical abilities. Collect information about the area you are visiting and the trail’s conditions and get a detailed trekking map.
- Wear clothes and take equipment that suit the difficulty and length of your tour. Keep emergency gear in your rucksack, including first aid supplies.
- Do not go walking alone in the mountains. In any case, tell someone where you are going and report back on returning.
- Look at the weather forecast before setting off and always keep an eye on the weather.
- In case of doubt, go back. It is better to give up than risk bad weather or face difficulties beyond your strength, ability and equipment.
- Do not leave marked paths and do not take shortcuts.
- All described walks are in a natural environment and therefore their use is at your own risk.
This information is subject to inevitable variations, so none of these indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason, we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, it is advisable to check environment and weather conditions before setting out.
Tips and hints
For more information on routes, services (guides, mountain huts, shops etc.) and hiking friendly accommodation: Garda Trentino - +39 0464 554444
From Park Busatte’s grassy area you head off for a spectacular hike along the Busatte–Tempesta trail, a nature route overhanging the lake which winds for 4 km and includes flights of metal stairs with a total of 400 steps. The route is mostly even with two climbs: Corno di Bò and Salt de la Cavra. This 90 minute hike through wonderful scenery, right above the lake in the midst of nature, flowers and geological phenomena, leads you to Tempesta.
From here you walk back to Torbole: at the junction with the road leading down to Tempesta, just go up the road till you reach againg the Busatte - Tempesta path near the first stairs or you can descend to Tempesta and the main road and go back to Torbole by bus of the A.P.T.V. line.
The main towns in Garda Trentino - Riva del Garda, Arco, Torbole sul Garda, Nago – are connected by several urban and intercity bus lines which will take you to the starting point of tours or in the immediate surroundings.
You can also get to Riva del Garda and Torbole sul Garda by the public ferry service.
Take Via Europa from the Nago roundabout, turn left and immediately right into Via delle Brae. Follow Via delle Busatte to Località Bersagli.
Find out how to reach Garda Trentino.
Parking in the locality Busatte.
Paid parking: Panorama, Via Strada Granda, Lungolago Conca d'Oro.
Author’s map recommendations
Garda Trentino TREKKING Map – Available in the info points of Garda Trentino (Riva del Garda, Arco, Torbole sul Garda, Ledro, Comano Terme)
You need to wear the right clothing and take the proper gear when you go hiking in the mountains. Even on relatively short easy outings make sure to take all you need so you don't run into trouble if things take an unexpected turn, for example a storm blows up or you have a sudden drop in energy levels.
What should you take when you go on a hike?
Your rucksack (for a day trip a 25/30L capacity should do) should contain:
- water canteen (1L)
- snacks (e.g. mixed dried fruit or chocolate)
- First aid kit
- windproof jacket
- change of t-shirt and socks (in a plastic bag)
- make sure to wear or at least bring a pair of long trousers
- sun screen
- whistle to attract attention in an emergency
Make sure you're wearing the right footwear for the trail and season. The going can get rough and rocky underfoot and a pair of hiking boots will protect you from sprains. When wet, a grassy slope, rocky slab or steep trail can be dangerous unless you are wearing the proper footwear.
And finally... don't forget to bring your camera! You'll need it to capture the stunning views you come across all over Garda Trentino. And if you like, you can share your memories with us at #GardaTrentino.
Emergency telephone number 112.
Questions and answers
Photos from others