From waterfall to waterfall
Garda Trentino Verified partner Explorers Choice
Chiesa di Tiarno di SottoPhoto: Stefania Oradini, Garda Trentino
Circular route along the old Roman road to Croina, among natural and historical wonders.
The rushing waters of the Massangla stream, the old Bugatini mill, the Gorg d’Abiss waterfall, the little church of San Giorgio with its onion shaped bell tower, the Roman bridge of Croina and the woods above Tiarno di Sotto. As the road and bridge of Croina testify, the ancient Romans were well settled in Valle di Ledro, geographic link between Lake Garda and the Giudicarie.
Gorg d’Abiss, vortex of the abyss, this poetic name belongs to a magnificent waterfall which provides cool even in the hottest Summer days.
Thanks to its location on top of a hill overlooking the village of Tiarno di Sotto, the little church of San Giorgio is a beautiful viewpoint.
- Choose itineraries that suit your physical and technical abilities. Collect information about the area you are visiting and the trail’s conditions and get a detailed trekking map.
- Wear clothes and take equipment that suit the difficulty and length of your tour. Keep emergency gear in your rucksack, including first aid supplies.
- Do not go walking alone in the mountains. In any case, tell someone where you are going and report back on returning.
- Look at the weather forecast before setting off and always keep an eye on the weather.
- In case of doubt, go back. It is better to give up than risk bad weather or face difficulties beyond your strength, ability and equipment.
- Do not leave marked paths and do not take shortcuts.
- All described walks are in a natural environment and therefore their use is at your own risk.
This information is subject to inevitable variations, so none of these indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason, we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, it is advisable to check environment and weather conditions before setting out.
Tips and hints
For more information on routes, services (guides, mountain huts, shops etc.) and hiking friendly accommodation: Garda Trentino - +39 0464 554444
Start from the church and turn onto Via alla Sega. Proceed onto Via Všen and follow the signs towards the Gorg d'Abiss waterfall. Return along the same route and turn right into Via San Giorgio, which leads up the little church of San Giorgio. Walk further uphill along a forestry road, cross the Roman bridge of Croina and get back to the village along Via a la Van.
Valle di Ledro is connected to Riva del Garda by the intercity bus line 214 (Riva-Valle di Ledro-Storo).
Up-to-date information on timetables and routes.
Exit the A22 motorway at Rovereto Sud – Lago di Garda. Follow the SS240 della Val di Ledro to Tiarno di Sotto.
Find out how to reach Garda Trentino.
Car park in front of the church in Tiarno.
Author’s map recommendations
Garda Trentino TREKKING Map – Available in the info points of Garda Trentino (Riva del Garda, Arco, Torbole sul Garda, Ledro, Comano Terme)
You need to wear the right clothing and take the proper gear when you go hiking in the mountains. Even on relatively short easy outings make sure to take all you need so you don't run into trouble if things take an unexpected turn, for example a storm blows up or you have a sudden drop in energy levels.
What should you take when you go on a hike?
Your rucksack (for a day trip a 25/30L capacity should do) should contain:
- water canteen (1L)
- snacks (e.g. mixed dried fruit or chocolate)
- First aid kit
- windproof jacket
- change of t-shirt and socks (in a plastic bag)
- make sure to wear or at least bring a pair of long trousers
- sun screen
- whistle to attract attention in an emergency
Make sure you're wearing the right footwear for the trail and season. The going can get rough and rocky underfoot and a pair of hiking boots will protect you from sprains. When wet, a grassy slope, rocky slab or steep trail can be dangerous unless you are wearing the proper footwear.
And finally... don't forget to bring your camera! You'll need it to capture the stunning views you come across all over Garda Trentino. And if you like, you can share your memories with us at #GardaTrentino.
Emergency telephone number 112.
- 2 Waypoints
- 2 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Photos from others