This trail takes in the entire western area of Garda Trentino and traces a semicircle across the slopes of the mountains surrounding the lower stretch of the River Sarca.
Along the way you can stop off in some of the places steeped in local history which have become symbols of Garda Trentino.
- Bastione di Riva del Garda: shortly after the start of the trail you can take a short detour to Bastione, a fortress built by the Venetians to defend the harbour of Riva and an excellent viewing point over the town and the northern part of Lake Garda.
- The church of San Lorenzo in Tenno: this little chapel has some of the oldest frescos in the Trento region, dating back to the 12th century. The chapel is at the southern end of the fortified village of Frapporta, a group of medieval houses huddled about Tenno Castle.
- Arco Castle: the castle is situated atop a cliff overlooking the entire upper end of Lake Garda. Here you can visit the ruins of a number of buildings.
Have you ever considered hiking in winter? GardaTrek Low Loop is the ideal route in the ideal place: not too difficult, never too cold.
Safety informationThe information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips, hints and links
- The first stage of the Low Loop ends at Arco. Here you can stay overnight before continuing on your way. If you choose to do so, we recommend you opt for one of our Outdoor Friendly hospitality partners who offer special facilities for sports lovers. Otherwise, you can take public transport back to the point you started from (See Getting there tab).
- The Low Loop intersects with some of the trails in the “Hidden Treasures” series, easy hikes recommended for anyone interested in finding out more about the history, literary connections and art of Garda Trentino. For example, you can explore the terraced farmland of Tenno or dive into the past of Arco and relive the atmosphere of the Belle Epoque when the town was an internationally renowned Kurort with a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients. You can find these itineraries here.
- For more information on routes and hike services: guides, shops and hiking friendly accommodation: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 www.gardatrentino.it
The start of the trail SAT 404 is in via Monte Oro in Riva del Garda, near the covered pay parking.
How to get to Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
ParkingThe nearest car park is the garage in via Monte Oro (pay parking). Free parking is available at the old hospital in Riva del Garda (about 10 minutes on foot from the start of the trail)
Author’s map recommendations
You need to be wearing the right clothing and take the proper gear when you go hiking in the mountains. Even on relatively short easy outings make sure to take all you need so you don't run into trouble if things take an unexpected turn, for example a storm blows up or you have a sudden drop in energy levels.
What should you take when you go on a hike?
What you should have in your rucksack (for a day trip a 25/30L capacity should do):
- water canteen (1L)
- snacks (e.g. mixed dried fruit or chocolate)
- First aid kit
- windproof jacket
- change of t-shirt and socks (in a plastic bag)
- make sure to wear or at least bring a pair of long trousers
- sun screen
- whistle to attract attention in an emergency
- emergency telephone number: 112
Make sure you're wearing the right footwear for the trail and season. The going can get rough and rocky underfoot and a pair of hiking boots will protect you from sprains. When wet, a grassy slope, rocky slab or steep trail can be dangerous unless you are wearing the proper footwear.
... don't forget to bring your camera! You'll need it to capture the stunning views you come across all over Garda Trentino. And if you like, you can share your memories with us at #GardaTrentino.