Hike through the woods which cover the eastern slopes of the Sarca Valley from Bosco Caproni to the little hamlet of Braila, home of the schoolmistress for whom this trail is named
The trail winds among olive groves before it comes to what look like mysterious cave mouths on the mountainside, the oolite quarries of Bosco Caproni. Continue on through the woods along the Varino ridge which rises above the River Sarca with spectacular views of the valley. On the way back you pass through terraced vineyards which follow the course of the river. In a single trail the hiker can enjoy all the variety that Garda Trentino has to offer.
This trail follows the route the schoolmistress Ketty Tantardini Bombardelli had to take in the 1920s to get to Braila, where she taught in school.
- Choose itineraries that suit your physical and technical abilities. Collect information about the area you are visiting and the trail’s conditions and get a detailed trekking map.
- Wear clothes and take equipment that suit the difficulty and length of your tour. Keep emergency gear in your rucksack, including first aid supplies.
- Do not go walking alone in the mountains. In any case, tell someone where you are going and report back on returning.
- Look at the weather forecast before setting off and always keep an eye on the weather.
- In case of doubt, go back. It is better to give up than risk bad weather or face difficulties beyond your strength, ability and equipment.
- Do not leave marked paths and do not take shortcuts.
- All described walks are in a natural environment and therefore their use is at your own risk.
This information is subject to inevitable variations, so none of these indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason, we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, it is advisable to check environment and weather conditions before setting out.
Caution! This trail SAT 667 is classified EE and only recommended for experienced hikers. In fact there is a short exposed stretch fitted with a steel cable by way of a handrail.
Tips and hints
For more information on routes, services (guides, mountain huts, shops etc.) and hiking friendly accommodation: Garda Trentino - +39 0464 554444
Moletta is on the main road statale 45 bis which goes from Arco in the direction of Trento. You can also start the hike from San Martino which is also on the main road statale 45 bis by heading northwards to the right at the junction.
Free parking in Via San Martino, left side on the main road.
Author’s map recommendations
You need to wear the right clothing and take the proper gear when you go hiking in the mountains. Even on relatively short easy outings make sure to take all you need so you don't run into trouble if things take an unexpected turn, for example a storm blows up or you have a sudden drop in energy levels.
What should you take when you go on a hike?
Your rucksack (for a day trip a 25/30L capacity should do) should contain:
- water canteen (1L)
- snacks (e.g. mixed dried fruit or chocolate)
- First aid kit
- windproof jacket
- change of t-shirt and socks (in a plastic bag)
- make sure to wear or at least bring a pair of long trousers
- sun screen
- whistle to attract attention in an emergency
Make sure you're wearing the right footwear for the trail and season. The going can get rough and rocky underfoot and a pair of hiking boots will protect you from sprains. When wet, a grassy slope, rocky slab or steep trail can be dangerous unless you are wearing the proper footwear.
And finally... don't forget to bring your camera! You'll need it to capture the stunning views you come across all over Garda Trentino. And if you like, you can share your memories with us at #GardaTrentino.
Emergency telephone number 112.
Weather at the route's trailhead
- 1 Waypoints
- 1 Waypoints