In the second half of the 19th century, Arco became renowned throughout the Austro-Hungarian Empire and beyond as a “Kurort”. The healthy, windy climate, Mediterranean but not excessively hot, allowed this peripheral little town to flourish as a health resort and holiday destination for members of the House of Habsburg and the nobility of Central Europe. The most prominent figure was Archduke Albrecht of Teschen, who had a great villa built in Arco which is famous for its gardens, the Parco Arciducale, now a botanic gardens open to the public.
Thanks to its reputation as a pleasant and exclusive health resort, Arco attracted a select clientele. Illustrious visitors included the poet Rainer Maria Rilke, who as a young man towards the turn of the century stayed there on a number of occasions and wrote some of his early poems here. The trail passes a number of places which inspired him or which are mentioned in his correspondence with his friend Nora Goudstikker.
The Hidden Treasures itineraries were designed in order to give visitors a chance to get to know places in Garda Trentino that are off the beaten track. For this reason, the signposting is not always in the same style and sometimes missing altogether. We therefore recommend you to take a good map with you on these excursions. And then bear in mind your general reference points: Lake Garda = South, Monte Stivo = East, Rocchetta = West, Arco Castle = North.
The telephone number for the emergency services is 112.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
- Rainer Maria Rilke (Prague 1875 – Montreux 1926) was an Austrian writer, poet and playwright of Bohemian birth. He is considered one of the most important poets of the 20th century in the German language.
- One of the places which made a particular impression on him is the Eremo di San Paolo hermitage, situated on the little road leading from Prabi to Ceniga. The Hermitage, even though it is included in the classic itinerary of the "Rilke Promenade", is quite far from the other stages on the trail and so we recommend visiting it separately or as part of the itinerary “Treasures of Sacred Art in Arco”. For information about the opening hours of the Eremo di San Paolo hermitage: www.gardatrentino.it
For more information on routes and hike services: guides, shops and hiking friendly accommodation:
APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 www.gardatrentino.it
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
Free parking in Caneve (5 minutes on foot from the centre of Arco).
Pay parkng Foro Boario, Via Caproni Maini (Parcheggio al Ponte), Posta (Via Monache).
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentThis excursion is quite simple and presents no particular difficulty. However, we still recommend you to wear suitable footwear, a hat, sun screen and sunglasses. And be sure to bring water!
Basic Equipment for Nature Trails
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Comfortable clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.